Course Title: Level 1/2 Cambridge National Certificate in Child Development
Syllabus Code: J818
Exam Board: OCR Web link
Year 1 Term1: Content for R018 (examined component)
- Reproduction and roles and responsibility of parenthood to include topics such as preconception health, structure and function of male and female reproductive systems and signs and symptoms of pregnancy.
- Antenatal care and preparation for birth to include routine checks at antenatal clinics and specialist diagnostic tests, delivery choices available and stages of labour, pain relief and delivery methods.
Year 1 Term2
- Postnatal checks, provision and conditions for development to include checks of the new born baby and reflexes.
- Specific needs of pre-term babies and postnatal provision for mother and family and the conditions required for development.
Year 1 Term3
- Recognising, managing and preventing childhood illness to include how immunity to disease and infection can be acquired and recognising and treating common childhood ailments.
- Diet related illnesses and the needs of an ill child.
- How to prepare a child for a stay in hospital.
Year 2 Term1: Content for R019 and R020 (coursework components)
- Understand the equipment and nutritional needs of children from birth to five years
- Include key factors when choosing equipment for babies from birth to 12 months and children from one to five years
- Know the nutritional guidelines and requirements for children from birth to five years
- Investigate and develop feeding solutions for babies aged 0-6 months
Year 2 Term2
- Development of a child from birth to five years
- Understand the physical, intellectual and social developmental norms from birth to five years
- Understand the benefits of learning through play
- Plan different play activities for a chosen developmental area with a child from birth to five years
- Carry out and evaluate different play activities for a chosen developmental area with a child from birth to five years